Athena Swan

Athena Swan promotes and supports the careers of women in Science, Engineering and Technology (STEM), and aims to address gender inequalities and imbalance in these disciplines and, in particular, the under-representation of women in senior roles.

Tuesday, 9 December 2014

In the news - Advice for my younger self: it’s OK to clock off

In an age where technology blurs the lines of work, rest and play, it is even more important to set boundaries you are happy with when it comes to your personal life and career ambitions.
I don’t regret my approach to work as it has helped me to get where I am today, but I do feel my efforts were often misplaced and misguided. It really isn’t about the number of hours you work or how many holidays you don’t take.
It’s about being effective and managing expectations. And while I really wanted to avoid using clichés, there is no better way to sum up my advice than saying “start as you mean to go on”. It is so much harder to change your approach once a way of working has become a way of life.

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment